Running PA3 on openSUSE 12.2

Josua Mayer josua.mayer97 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 15:05:44 UTC 2012

Am 22.10.2012 23:16, schrieb Josua Mayer:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on making PlasmaActive 3 on openSUSE 12.2 running on my
> phone. So far I have packaged all necessary things using the opensuse
> build service here[1]. I have an issue starting the thing though.
>
> I have created a .xinitrc containig the line:
> startactive
>
> Running startx(as root for now) should boot PA.
> What actually happens is that I see the loading screen for a while,
> and then it vanishes, leaving the black X screen. Soon a grey box pops
> up containg the following message:
> Semantic Data Storage
> ...oso RDF server to store its data. Installing the Virtuoso So...
>
> I don't see the dots of course, but that's where my screen ends. Then
> nothing happens anymore.
> Checking the output of startactive(logfile attached), I found that the
> last thing it does is to start nepomuk and then waits for
> org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukqueryservice which apparently never
> appears. I checked running processes and there is only
> /usr/bin/nepomukserver, nothing else. But there should also be
> "/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukqueryservice" running. I have no
> clue how that comes. In IRC it was suggested to kill nepomuk and then
> start it manually on a terminal. The output is attached. Apparently
> nepomukstorage just exits. So afterwards, only thing running is still
> "/usr/bin/nepomukserver".
>
> What helps is running "/usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukqueryservice".
> This makes startactive go on. Result on the screen is the X default
> cursor becoming a normal mouse cursor.
> Now I have observed two scenarios:
> 1) nothing ele happens on the screen
> 2) Some box popping up, labeled "Choice", but its not readable, no
> text, possibly not fitting my screen resolution, and some red X, like
> when there is no icon found. That box goes into hiding soon. Left is
> at bottom of screen a small grey bar about 3/4 of screen width, saying
> "Choice". Nothing else. The attached logfile is of a time when this
> dialog did pop up.
>
> startactive output says it started ksmserver, contour and
> activitymanager. a quick 'ps -ef' shows that they are indeed running.
>
> I can not see if any of those is ever considered 'started' by
> startactive. It never attempts to run plasma-device so something still
> blocks.
>
> I have no idea how to handle any of these problems andwill appreciate
> help given to make this work.
>
> Josua Mayer
>

> [1]https://build.opensuse.org/project/show?project=home%3Amayerjosua%3AGTA04%3Aplasmaactive
>
> Notes:
> +My work has been copied to the KDE:Active project on OBS today, but I
> have done all my tests on the project I just linked.
> +The startactive logfiles are of 2 times. first one copied before
> running mepomukqueryservice, second one afterwards.
> +Sorry for sending twice, forgot the attachments.
So there has been Progress!
Apparently there were 2 issues:
The lnusertemp-* modules were not executed. I explicitly listed all 3 in
my prestart.module to great success concerning nepomuk.
nepomuk does start up now, but I realized it never communictaes through
dbus so why is that? Easy!
startactive runs dbus-launch but does not carry the dbus environment
variables to teh binaries it starts later on. As a quick hack, I added
to my .xinitrc on top:
export $(dbus-launch)
Now I get the whole PA started. There is a new issue ofc. I see for
short the loading symbol on bottom of screen, then it turns into a black
box(see screenshot) and PA stays unreactive. `top` shows me that
plasma-device eats up 100% cpu though all the time, idk why.
And the top bar is too long obviously. I thought of rotating the screen,
but I cant as of now. I will need a more recent x.org and a different
x.org drivr for that so it is no go yet.
Attached is the startactive.log as it is now.

Regards
Josua Mayer