Files task prioritization

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Nov 2 14:51:25 UTC 2012

Hi...

I sat with Marco today to work out task priorities. Since this is about
polishing, bugs get highest priority, UI polishing second and new but
necessary functionality third.

Within each of those categories we've prioritized in three priorities as
follows:

1) Absolutely required to get done in this sprint
2) Things that would bring significant benefit, but we could live without them
in PA4 if pushed
3) Things that can be punted to PA5

Most P3 items were classified as P3 due to the amount of work required relative
to the time we have and the importance relative to P1/P2 items. Most / all of
them would probably become P1 or P2 items once we clear the current P1 list.

Within the lists, things are sorted by relative priority.

Anyone who wishes to claim an item may do so on the wiki. Marco and I will be
tearing through these items as efficiently as we can.

Bugs
===
P1
    Tag reset: fatal problem, and easy to run into
    Long-tap for files on external storage
    Internal <-> external storage switching
    Filtering by rating: key functionality that just doesn't work
    Item delegates less complex: big performance impact here, a small amount
of effort needed

P2
    Deleting files not working: likely due to mount permissions, but more
elegant handling needs to be derived in any case
    Folders deadend: a fatal problem, but rare to run into on-device
    Searching for <4 chars: easy to fix, but cosmetic
    OOXML as Archives: hopefully easy to fix in nepomuk

P3
    No full text search: probably nepomuk related
    Tag size update: difficult due to nepomuk query updating

UI Improvements
===========
P1
    Icon view: the resizing issue is one of the most glaring cosmetic issues
that everyone notices. as the sidebar is key functionality, everyone will
notice this.

P2
    Sidebar tabs visual refresh (unless we manage to get rid of the tabs :)
    Intro page issues: I'm going to guess that this is more of a discussion
item; it may join the Dropped items once this discussion is had as I have the
suspicion it may simply be a discoverability issue which needs a more general
PA-wide solution

P3
    Timeline zoom: valid points, though compared to other items it generally
works and is less of an eye-sore

Dropped:
    file copy: this is a more general issue in PA related to discoverability
    ctrl-click: multi-select is possible and works pretty well (long tap and
multi-touch drag). again, discoverability.

Missing Functionality
============
P1
    File and Tag rename/delete/remove: this is key functionality that is
simply just missing, so critical to get this one done

P2
    Content-type specific parameters: necessary to elevate Files to full
general usefulness (we already have one email on the list about this and
photos with keyword tags; periodicals are another issue item)
    Show bookmarks, contacts, mails: depends on content-type specific
paramters, as e.g. bookmarks can not be copied to removable media. Otherwise,
similarly important to elevate usefulness of Files.

P3
    Add to Activity: or, files becomes a component. P3 because what we have
works now, making Files a component that works well is a fair amount of work.
I think this actually would fit the "big picture planning" schedule for
implementation in PA5

Outside of sprint's effort budget, we will also work on the Metadata model
"under the hood" task, starting with a definition of what is needed. The
development can be done by anyone, but Marco will try and get it done for PA4
if nobody else steps up to do so.