merging mailing lists

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue May 29 13:51:15 UTC 2012

On 29.05.2012 14:08, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> pros:
>
> * many of the topics discussed here are relevant to the other workspaces
> (desktop, netbook, ..) and vice versa. this is happening more rather than less
> as we move forward. examples: QML tooltips are being discussed on plasma-
> devel; QML HIG is being discussed here; private activities is discussed here;
> system settings related issues are being discussed on plasma-devel while
> active settings is discussed here (missing opportunities for collaboration /
> consistency?); accounts system will likely be discussed on plasma-devel,
> though that's critical to active; we work on things like the activity switcher
> here, and that's something that should be harmonized into desktop/netbook.

+1. There are surely many currently unexploited synergies between the different
workspaces. And even though we clearly don't want to adopt Microsoft's
one-size-fits-all approach, some degree of cross-workspace consistency is
definitely useful.

> cons:
>
> * we'd lose a mailing list to discuss active specific things; the main things
> this would impact are things like discussion of the applications which are
> more tightly bound on plasma active than in plasma desktop. traffic about this
> is pretty low, and if we feel the need we can either start a mailing list for
> the applications or re-use this one for that purpose

We have to offer people outside the core PA team who want to ask something about
or contribute to Plasma Active a clear entry point. What it's called probably
doesn't matter all too much, as long as it's communicated clearly.

> * bugs would need to go to another mailing list, as that is our policy on
> plasma-devel (we have a plasma-bugs list for that); this may require some
> adjustments in work flow for people

+1. I think they are rather noise-generating on this list as well (even though
many bug reports are relevant to me), so I think a separation of bugs and
discussion makes sense anyway.

> what are your thoughts? worth doing? would it be too much hassle for you?
> would it make you drop off the mailing list? woudl it make you happier? etc..

Although I'm not on plasma-devel@ yet, I agree this could make sense. I can't
really foresee how much of a hassle it would be for me until I've experienced
it, but I don't think it would be too bad. Having our own mailing list was
useful in the beginning, but I think now is a good time to join with the general
Plasma team.