Okular active

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu May 24 10:57:58 UTC 2012

On Friday 18 May 2012 21:47:01 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 18 May 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hi Marco,
> >
> > On Thursday 17 May 2012 17:47:15 Marco Martin wrote:
> > > packaging is fixed, unfortunately at the moment it still have to be
> > > launched from the shell with active-documentviewer pdfpath
> >
> > Just tried it out. Although it might be a bit early for feedback at this
> > stage, here's my first impression anyways:
> > - The search function with highlighting within the grid is awesome!
> > Although being able to step through results may still be necessary at some
> > point, this is great for an overview of which page might most likely be
> > the one you were looking for. Great feature! :)
>
> unfortunately seems a bit slow, we'll see if usable enough ;)

The actual search and display of the highlights in the grid seems fast enough.
However when I navigate to a page from the search results, the performance
drops big time.  Something about the highlighting withing the normal page view
seems to slow it down a lot.

> seems some unnecessary painting is still happening, especially when zoomed
> in (may require yet another level of pixmap caching)

Scrolling and flipping pages is a lot faster now. Feels pretty good! Zooming is
still quite slow, though.

> > - Unless the document is wider than the screen, it should not pan
> > horizontally, as this is very irritating while scrolling (you usually
> > don't
> > move your finger _exactly_ vertically while scrolling)
>
> but in that case the problem would be that is not possible to switch page by
> horizontal swipe..

Now that the page does not move sideways while scrolling down if it fits the
page, scrolling works a lot better. Great work!

> > - The swiping distance required to trigger a page flip should be reduced
> > (I
> > noticed this recently in Images as well). Finding a good value there is
> > very difficult. I found that e.g. in tabletReader the distance was too
> > short, which frequently caused accidental page flips. However currently in
> > Okular Active and Images, you have to swipe really long to flip a page /
> > change switch to another picture, which feels a bit cumbersome

Flipping pages feels better as well. However I still quite often swipe too
little so the page snaps back into place rather than switching. Also a few
times I had to look at the page content to see if it actually switched or not.
The animations of a page snapping back when it wasn't flipped and the actual
flipping seem a bit hard to differentiate sometimes.

Notice that the fact that I'm already talking about UX details is usually a
good sign, because that means that the basics already work well and we are on
the way from good to great experience!

Keep up the good work,
Thomas