Hello Plasma Active Community

Chris Russell chrisrus at encapsule.org
Fri May 4 02:09:45 UTC 2012

Hello Plasma Active Community!

I met Carl Symons at LinuxFest Northwest last weekend and got my first
hands-on demo of Plasma Active. I am very impressed folks.

By way of introduction, I'm Chris and I live on the edge of civilization
in Puget Sound outside of Seattle, WA USA. I'm a developer (mostly
C/C++) but am essentially a hardware guy at heart. I started my
professional career in the late 1980's in the semiconductor industry (a
major DSP chip manufacturing company) where I did many years of embedded
systems development before wandering up the stack.

Most recently I was a senior member of the Windows Core Application
Model team at Microsoft in Redmond, WA where I designed and implemented
a sophisticated package management system, was part of a small stealth
team working under cover during Windows 7 on future enhancements to the
Windows OS (software packaging, deployment, servicing, state separation,
OS & app-to-app extensibility contracts...), and was intimately involved
with the engineering effort underpinning Microsoft's forthcoming Windows
8 release. Specifically, I designed and my team implemented the new
Windows Runtime (WinRT) API's leveraged by all Windows 8 Metro
applications to access local storage and am listed as an inventor on an
as-yes unpublished (but filed) patent that covers loosely-coupled
synchronization of Metro application data via Microsoft's cloud
infrastructure.

It's OT but really none of this has anything to do with the job I took
in 2006 when I joined Microsoft. I left the company several months ago
and am now busy looking for a much less process-oriented employer who
will let me write lots of code instead of spending 80% of my time
attending meetings and filling out reports detailing the code I will
write/have written in the 20% of my time remaining ;-)

Given time constraints and given that I'm a Linux neophyte, I'm going to
hang out in the background here and learn the ropes before stepping
forward to help this project. I am very interested in the goals and hope
to become active at some point in the future TBD.

Just wanted to say hello, introduce myself, thank Carl for his time at
LinuxFest Northwest, Aaron for talking to us via Skype at the
conference, and voice my support for your fantastic work so far.

Regards, Chris Russell