findings on networkmanager/polkit/consolekit/arm

Lamarque V. Souza Lamarque.Souza.ext at basyskom.com
Fri Mar 30 21:45:16 UTC 2012

Em Friday 30 March 2012, Marco Martin escreveu:
> Hi all,

	Hi,

> so, today i tried to figure out a why networkmanager is not working on arm
> and only arm.
>
> turns out the problem is polkit. so not only networkmanager doesn't work,
> but anything that requires authentication
> apparently polkit depends from consolekit to identify who belongs to the
> same session and who doesn't, except that now doesn't use consolekit
> anymore but systemd.
>
> in kde, not exactly sure in what part of the stack, systemd is still not
> supported (or better, is not supported the act to telling to systemd a what
> is the currently running session)

	Usuallly it is kdm that talks to console-kit, since we do not use kdm
then uxlaunch should do that role. Distributions seem to launch desktop
sessions like this:

ck-launch-session dbus-launch startactive

	I tried that in a x86 Meego image it the kde agent simply stopped
working (could not authenticate). I wonder why everybody on the Internet
suggests doing that, maybe uxlaunch does not support console-kit.

> what happens is that the kde polkit authentication agent fails with this
> message
> polkit_agent_listener_register: assertion `POLKIT_IS_SUBJECT (subject)
> failed
>
> so, i tried to rebuild the polkit package making it still use consolekit
> (could even be used until a real solution is found?)
>
> the status i have now is:
> if i manually launch ck-launch-session, then from the same terminal
> relaunch the authentication agent it does connect.
>
> if now i launch an application that uses polkit, like the time settings
> dialog it works correctly and i can actually change the time.
> i still didn't manage at all to make polkit authenticate for networkmanager
> (reued to restart kded, plasma-device but nothing)
>

> so, that's basically how far i could push it,
> this session registration part has to be fixed.
>
> it's still misterious why this happens only on arm and not on x86, so...
> ideas? ;)

	Have you tested downgrading polkit from 0.104 to 0.103?

--
Lamarque V. Souza
http://www.basyskom.com/