activity configuration UI

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 14:55:56 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 28 March 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Ah, I see.
> So what is the internal, technical workflow for switching an activity to
> private (everything that happens from the point where the user taps "Save"
> in the Activity configuration dialog after having switched to private)?
> I'd like to understand the inner workings (not on the code level, more like
> on an UML activity diagram level of detail) so that I can see how this can
> be best translated into a user workflow.
> Thanks,
> Thomas

ok.
basically, the activitymanager daemon is running in the background.

it controls what activities exist, creation,deletion and name (wallpaper is an
internal setting in the plasma shell instead) so all those operations are
asked to the daemon via dbus.

so, let's say we have an existing, unencrypted activity. The client, in this
case the plasma shell asks, please encrypt.
the server pops up the  encryption ui (done by the activity manager to not
pass passwords in clear text over dbus, since any process can listen to them
;)

then if hte user dismisses the dialog nothing happens, if he confirms, an
encrypted partition is created and all the files linked to the activity are
phisically moved in there (means also they'll have to be unlinked from every
other activity, since they are "protected" now)

when the activity is marked as clear again is the same procedure, reversed

Ivan can tell if i did some technical mistakes in the explanation here ;)