Plasma Active SDK Notes

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 13 13:38:22 UTC 2012

On Friday, March 9, 2012 18:02:18 Aleix Pol wrote:
> As I said on the "workout", having a device image is good for having an
> overview of what the end result looks like, but I don't really think that
> this is going to scale:

have you looked at how people develop for other device platforms?

the nice thing about a VM approach is that we can:

* provide ready-to-go-images in different configurations so you can easily test
your app with different screen sizes, version of PA, etc.

* people can develop on their rather more powerful laptops

what doesn't work with the VM approach:

* multitouch
* actual hands-on-feel testing

my experience thus far with development has been that one does 95%+ of
development on a local, non-device system just fine and then final testing and
validation can be done on the device.

by that point you should know that your code builds and works (making OBS
failures a non-issue) and that the interaction is generally in place.]

ultimately, having a "in the can" build env that builds your app and sends it
(over USB? network?) to the device directly would be terrific ... but i'll (and
i imagine others) will still use that for near-completion-testing and not for
general development cycles which tend to benefit from being as quick as
possible .. something that it is hard to beat a on-dev-system-VM for.

also, i'd suggest that if you are building IN the VM ... something is pretty
drastically wrong. ditto for multiple snapshots of the same code, which makes
no sense whatsoever; maybe different build directories but not src snapshots.
you should be building outside the VM against the OS target þat the VM runs
and this should be a stock configuration we distribute.

if your concerns are driven by the limitations of open source VMs, despite not
being open vmWare makes this a generaly moot point.

--
Aaron Seigo