Menu Flap

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 4 13:38:32 UTC 2012

On Sunday, June 3, 2012 22:32:50 Marco Martin wrote:
> also note that it has been written before everything else, so nothing was
> available yet: neither artwork, components, libraries etc (and considered
> that the result is quite remarkable, i have to say to the kontact devs ;),

yeah, they did a lot of very basic work to get there! :)

> so it really evolved in its own way (it still even uses proxy widgets for
> the calendar, just transplanted from the desktop version, that is not
> really the best).

of course, the problem there was that the calendar widget is 1000s of lines of
code that is well tested. that is a huge investment to just get rid of.

i would guess it would be easier to get Korganizer to use a new QML version of
the calendar widget and share that with Kontact Touch than to try and keep
KOrganizer where it is and have something completely separate for kontact
touch.

> it would be quite awesome if there will be a bit more investment on kontact
> mobile in the future, to make it simpler and more integrated with the rest

as long as it doesn't get made so simple that we lose the ability to interest
corporate and government users. groupware is not a simple thing and has many
requirements.

in the reach for simplicity, we must keep the use requirements first in mind.
"simple" is contextual to that.