Menu Flap

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Jun 3 15:36:26 UTC 2012

Hi all,
before I put it into an HIG, I wanted to discuss with you a certain UI element
that Kontact Touch uses:
The element I'm talking about is the "Menu Flap". The thing that most screens
in Kontact Touch have on their left side. It works pretty much like the
drawers we already use on the Activity Screen and in Files & Co.: Pull it out
from the side and it reveals several menu entries, optionally with sub menus.
This is certainly not something every App should use, because it is merely a
way of making a complex application manageable on a mobile/touch device. Apps
that manage to actually reduce complexity to a point where a menu is not
necessary anymore simply don't need it. However, if an application is complex
enough to warrant a menu but still not too complex for a mobile device, this
type of  menu is still more touch-friendly than traditional desktop menus and
therefore preferable. Additionally it fits well with our drawer concept.
And I know that this feature was designed iteratively with user testing, so
it's somewhat proven.

Disclaimer: I don't think Kontact Touch is the perfect mobile PIM suite.
Personally I wouldn't try to stuff all features of a desktop PIM suite (one
which is among the most feature-rich ones I know) into a mobile version in the
first place. But I know that the team behind Kontact Touch specifically had the
task to create a mobile version with every feature that the desktop version
had. And they managed pretty well to make this at least moderately usable.

Therefore I would not want to see other applications with menus as full as
some of those in Kontact Touch, but even with only a fraction of the features,
the Menu Flaps would still make them easier to handle.

So what do you think? What is your experience with Menu Flaps? Do you think
other applications could make good use of them as well?

- Thomas