Fullscreen window support

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 26 16:05:19 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I found a solution to the problem of fullscreen windows covering the panel and
no option to go back.

With KWin of today we can use scripting to solve this problem:

function allowedFullscreen(client) {
  return client.resourceClass == "i'm_special";
}

workspace.clientFullScreenSet.connect(function(client, set) {
  if (set && !allowedFullscreen(client)) {
    client.geometry = {x: 0, y: 38, width: workspace.displayWidth, height:
workspace.displayHeight-38}
  }
});

This script notices when a window goes to fullscreen and adjusts the geometry
to not cover the panel. So for the window everything is like it were
fullscreen, but it is just a few pixel smaller.

Additionally we can install a whitelist to allow applications to go fullscreen
if we know that they offer a way to go back (e.g. latest versions of Calligra
Active).

If you are interested in it, I can include the script in KWin and make sure
that it gets installed if we compile to active. No further adjustment work
would be needed.

Cheers
Martin