NetworkManagement, was Re: Task Proposal: base system working Mer setup

Stefan Werden stefan.werden at open-slx.de
Mon Jan 23 17:11:23 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 17:48:03 +0100, Fania Bremmer wrote:
> Am 20.01.2012 12:52, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
>>> Taking a step back, I don't think that all of this is necessary for
>> something
>>> that has a fairly simple role. Basically, all you need to do is
>>> choose a
>>> network to connect to, and possibly provide a password. Forgetting
>> known
>>> connection would be needed, and possibly means to share your
>>> connection.
>>> This
>>> would likely cover 99% of all likely usecases.
>> +1.
>> People want to get their device online with as few steps as
>> possible, and
>> that's it.
> +2
> In PA2 the wifi dialog on the MeeGo image showed a lot of empty
> details anyways where the data was missing.
> If something more needs to be configure we could put it in the
> settings app.
Today there is no "standard way" in Plasma Active. Balsam is using more
or less the KDE-Desktop way for configuration configuring WIFI and GSM.
The UX-experience with that has a clear space for improvment to make it
more compliant to touch/multitouch. AND it is not always clear if you
have network or not. This is reflekting more or less a static user that
is not moving around and switching networks while he is walking. Going
to the mobile world will need some adoptions here and thinking how to
design this. The desktop way was never sufficiant for that (sorry).

Network sharing and special stuff may be something we should thing
putting this to an app. Getting a network and sharing network with
others are two different use cases. That is usually for what apps are
made for.

regards,

Stefan