Task Proposal: Files handling,browsing,tagging

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Jan 20 13:59:25 UTC 2012

> SLC would be used for adding to an activity and/or liking. like
everywhere
> else. but not tagging as that indeed makes no sense, and wasn't what i
was
> suggesting either.

Here we have a conflict between internal and external consistency. Using
the SLC buttons to rate and add to activities would be consistent with
other apps, yes.
However, e.g. tagging and rating are very similar, but would then happen
in different places and with different actions. This would make them feel
disconnected.
Of course SLC has to work in the filebrowser as well. But I don't see a
problem with having another more easily accessible way to do this here,
because especially rating is a more central task in a file browser than in
other applications.
Duplication is not always a bad thing: See e.g. toolbars and menus.
Toolbars are for frequently accessed commands, but these are duplicated in
menus for consistency reasons.
But these are details which I think we can as well discuss later, because
they are not really make-or-break for the story ;)