Task Proposal: Support more (touch) devices

Samuel Stirtzel s.stirtzel at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:06:39 UTC 2012

Hi I'm new to KDE / Plasma Active development,
(Usually I do cross platform Qt development).

As Plasma Active seems to be _the next generation touch user
interface_ I'm quite interested in the development process.

2012/1/19 martin brook <martin.brook100 at googlemail.com>:
> User Story
>
> =======
>

> 1. A developer get interested in the project and works on hip PC to develop
> new app/utility/core functionality but has a limited number of expensive
> devices to deploy and test on.
>
> 2. A user sees a blog post, youtube video of Plasma Active and thinks he
> would like to use it, again he is limited to a couple of devices
>

> Why this is important
>
> =============
>

> Currently we only have a couple of touch devices supported slowing the rate
> of adoption by developers and users.  More devices will bring developers and
> users to the project

It could be an option to port Plasma Active to the OpenEmbedded /
Yocto Project [see 1 & 2]
So it is possible to use it on any device supported there.
Also Plasma Active would be easily accessible to development
communities of Beagleboard, Pandaboard, Gumstix Overo, N900 (with
Angstrom / SHR), OpenPandora, Neo Freerunner and others.

About my concern: I write software for the Gumstix Overo development
board (ARMv7) and I would love to see Plasma Active on this kind of
hardware.
I'd like to volunteer to help porting, and I already started but I
wasn't involved in the development of Plasma Active so far.
Currently I'm stuck with porting the dependencies of Plasma Active,
since KDE.org is confusing me with svn and git meshing.

[1 OpenEmbedded]
Openembedded is a build framework that creates individual distributions for you.
see:
http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Main_Page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenEmbedded

[2 Yocto Project]
Yocto Project is the umbrella project for the build Systems
OpenEmbedded and Poky.
see:
http://www.yoctoproject.org/

Feel free to contact me in this matter.