Task Proposal: eBook Reader

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Jan 20 10:12:59 UTC 2012

> > Do we want to support the "academic reading" usecase?
>
> eventually. the first step of giving Okular a QML front end is more than
enough
> work for a first iteration. let's keep the scope of these tasks
realistic so
> that they remain achievable.

Yup, makes sense. Having a good reading experience is more important for
now than
being able to annotate, so I'm fine with postponing the rest.

> > I'd also suggest either always displaying it in portrait mode or at
least
> > allowing to switch orientation. Reading in landscape mode totally
breaks
> > the "book" feeling as you need to scroll within pages.
>
> having used Okular on the tablet for reading, i'd suggest defaulting to
> portrait mode and offering a way to manually rotate (for all the reasons
> already supplied by you and todd)

+1, absolutely makes sense to me.
I actually rotated the view in Okular sometimes, but since Okular has too
much
"chrome", I found the pages mostly too narrow to read.
So we'll need to give the actual document as much horizontal space as
possible.