Task Proposal: Centralized account management

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 21:18:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> User Story
> =======
> A big portion of the user life on the tablet is about interacting with online
> services, being sharing photos on flickr, twitter or syncing the contents of
> his activities, files and contacts to an owncloud instance.
>

> Why this is important
> =============
> Many different applications will need access to the same services, so a
> separate user authentication is not acceptable, a centralized framework is
> needed.
>
> Proposed implementation
> ================
> 1) Write a generic framework to load authentication plugins to web services.
> it will need to be able to load a library for authentication, either c++ or js
> and a qml file for the authentication form, integrate with the systemsettings
> app
> 2) Write a couple of modules for at least owncloud and a couple of other
> services such as twitter or flickr
> 3) Write a couple of SLC plugins at least for sharing photos and text
> 4) document the process for third party developers to add other services in
> the supported ones
>
> This will get support for a central authentication system, shared between any
> app that needs to connect to a service, slc, owncloud
>
> Task Details
> =======
> Owned by: Marco Martin
> Effort Estimation: 4
> Task dependencies: None, some other tasks depend from this one.

I assume the authentication would be stored in kwallet?

When you say "a qml file for the authentication form", would this be a
single QML file shared by all authentication forms, or a separate one
for each form?

Some services may be able to share authentication.  For instance you
may want to use your google authenticatation with google mail, google
docs, blogs, etc.  Would there be a single plugin for all of these, or
could there be some way for multiple plugins to check for
authentication information for a particular service?  For example,
there could be something in the web browser that says "it looks like
this blog supports google logins, do you want to use your google
account here?"

-Todd