Plasma active 3 irc meeting

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 00:57:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 January 2012 19:02:03 Marco Martin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> some arguments for tomorrow, since it will be about PA3 priorities:
>> * security framework, how far push it (and what else has high/higher
>> priority)
>> * base system -> final migration to MeeGo
>
> Migration to MeeGo? Do you mean migration to Mer?
>
>> * missing features: resource browser, more applications and.. ?
>> * how much time to be spent exclusively on fixes
>
> +1, these are all very important points.
>
> However, what I would put as a meta-question above them all, from a product
> perspective:
> What do we want PA3 to be?
>
> For me, PA1 was a great proof of concept, PA2 was the refined version of it.
> Do we want PA3 to be another proof of concept, but this time for even more
> advanced technology? Or do we want to create a strong platform for app
> developers to fill with life?
> Or do we want to focus on turning PA3 into an actual product, one that real
> users would want to replace their tablet's OS with? Would that be realistic?
> And if so: What should be its USP?

PA1 - Hatching
PA2 - Learning to fly
PA3 - Leaving the nest

Actual product. Strong platform for app developers to fill with life.
A truly FOSS OS to replace non-liberated tablet OSes. Yes, it's
realistic. If Android can do it, Plasma Active can too...it's a matter
of time.

Unique Selling Proposition(s) - open, free, liberated. something about
Mer. something about Contour.

I'd also like to see Linux/PA/Contour be available on a reasonably
priced tablet with known hardware. Something that comes out of a
collaboration among the technical people who've been working on this.
A user-oriented answer to the question: Where can I get this? While a
serious techie may be okay with replacing the OS, this doesn't work
for regular users. And I've already sold regular users who are waiting
to get a tablet until they can get one with Plasma Active. Plasma
Active, et al could be the leading UI for tablets running Linux.

Carl