UI security topic: UI for private activities

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Tue Jan 17 16:58:40 UTC 2012

Em Tuesday 17 January 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer escreveu:
> [...]

	Because nothing garantees the user that opened the activity is the same
that is now changing the configuration. For example, the device owner opens a
private activity, in that situation the activity configuration dialog is
accessible. After some time he/she leaves the device or even give it to
another user *without locking the screen*. Now it is another person who is
using the device, not the owner. In this situation that other person will be
able to disable encryption for that activity.

> > - Open Private Activity in switcher: after tap a pw dialog appears
> > (similar to delete dialog); see validation details again in flowchart;
>
> I'd use either "switch" or "open" as a label, "go" seems too generic.
>
> > 3a- after manual or automatical screen lock while private activity is
> > running: pw dialog in lockscreen is required to open the current private
> > activity. Unlock with normal activity running doesnt require any pw, it
> > behaves like Plasma Active currently does.
> > 3b- there has been the idea that after locking, PA encrypts all private
> > activities again and just shows the last "normal" activity as a
> > fallback. What I dont like here, that the last normal activity can be
> > completly random, so that for the user that wouldnt be a benefit, as he
> > has been just working on the private activity.
> > 3c- Another option would be that the uncrypted fallback is always the
> > introduction activity, which can therefore be never private and can
> > never be deleted. This would assure that we have at least one
> > "normal/not private" activity in the system we can always fallback to. I
> > dont like this option that much neither, because we would introduce some
> > kind of homescreen, that we just wanted to get rid off ;)
>
> My order of preferences (most to least preferred): a, b, c
>
> > - With all these passwords coming now into PA, I suggest having a
> > security tab in our settings app with these options:
> > - device pw after shut down: toggle on/off; on is default (needs then to
> > be entered in first introduction activity)
> > - edit pw for device pw
> > - device pw after lock screen: toggle on/off; off is default
>
> I agree with Marco and Ivan on the "false sense of security" point.
> On the other hand, laptops usually have a login password as well even
> though
> this does not offer more security if it's stolen either.
> Difficult matter...

Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer
http://planetkde.org/pt-br