UI security topic: UI for private activities

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 10:55:16 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 17 January 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> And this leads again to a topic we had already discussed previously:
> Graphical passwords.
> I'm still in favor of a graphical password solution since they
> a) Have proven to result in better trade-offs between security and
> memorability (I can provide studies in case of doubt)
> b) Are much better suited for a touchscreen device than textual ones
> They have their own problems, sure, but they are better than textual ones
> (unless user apply very sophisticated methods for creating secure and
> memorably passwords).

for this i happen to agree a lot with him:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2011/122211-windows8-
authentication-254372.html?hpg1=bn

2 problems:
a) much easier to sneak than someone typing
b) it leaves a quite clear trace on the touchscreen surface

I think it's an example of cool looking novelty, but not working in reality