Getting CASED involved in PA security?

Lamarque V. Souza lamarque at kde.org
Mon Jan 16 19:12:03 UTC 2012

Em Monday 16 January 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer escreveu:
> Hi all,

	Hi,

> maybe I should mentioned that since October, I am a Ph.D. student on the
> subject of Usable Security at the

	Congratulations :-)

> Center for Advanced Security Research Darmstadt (CASED [1]). I think
> Plasma Active's security can benefit
> from this in two ways:
> 1. I will become an expert in the human aspect of IT security over the
> next three years and will be able to contribute
> my knowledge to the UI design of our security features.
> 2. CASED is home to more than 100 security researchers (the majority
> focusing on technical aspects), so if
> we would ever like to have academic science involved in PA, CASED is
> surely a very good address to go to.
>
> I don't know if you guys are into getting academic institutions involved
> in general, but if you are, this would be an
> excellent topic for that.

	Any help is very appreciated. We are in the process of defining the
security model for PA. For now we have decided to use encfs to encrypt the
directory kactivitymanager stores the activity's data, not all data, since
nepomuk data is stored in a single database.

	For the UI design you can comment Fania's suggestions for activity
encryption dialogs in her e-mail (subject "UI security topic: UI for private
activities").

	I tried to test Mobile Simple Security Framework 2 (MSSFv2) that was
being developed for MeeGo and maybe use it in basysKom's image, which is MeeGo
based. Unfortunately, the MSSFv2 developers decided it had some shortcomings
and started to develop MeeGo Security Model (MSM) to replace it. I have not
found any source for MSM. If you know somebody that have used MSSFv2 I would
like to know about what he/she thinks about it.

--
Lamarque V. Souza
KDE's Network Management maintainer