Data security and file structure

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Jan 6 10:50:16 UTC 2012

Actually this is precisely what we are aiming for: Getting rid of - or at
least hiding from the user - the FS structure.
Every interaction between user and files is supposed to be mediated by the
Nepomuk database. If a user copies
a file to the device, she should not have to care about where in the
filesystem it goes, but only about its attributes
in the Nepomuk database. If she wants to transfer a file somewhere (onto a
server, onto an external storage),
she selects it by its Nepomuk attributes, not its location.
FS structure is totally unnatural and we finally have a chance to hide
that from users.
This is what our planned resource manager will do.
Of course it is possible to put files in separate folders for security
reasons, but it has to go unnoticed by the user.

Cheers,
Thomas