Data security

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Jan 5 21:24:29 UTC 2012

> I used it several years ago and the impact on CPU was so noticable that I
> stopped using it. I think the system I had back then is comparable to low-end
> ARM devices we have today.

Did you use it for /home and / or just for specific folders with
documents. I have used it (and still am) for the later and it is fast
enough (TM) :)

> AFAIK the key is needed always in RAM as each read and write operation on the
> encrypted disk needs the key. At least there would not be any use of cold boot
> attacks if the key is not in RAM:

Well, we can't make a perfectly secure/unbreakable system - nobody can
and nobody has, so we shouldn't really go this deep into analyzing
this. That is, we can ask for EU-funded 1 year project to try to solve
the security issue, and we might not go much further than we already
are. (though, I'm all for the idea - used to be encryption-enthusiast,
not a bad field to do science stuff in)

--
Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard