Icons to be designed

Fania Bremmer fania.bremmer at basyskom.com
Wed Jan 4 17:52:11 UTC 2012

Hi there,

I collected most of the icons we have so far in Plasma Active and tried
to analyse and group them a bit,
see http://share.basyskom.com/contour/UIDesign/Icon_List_PA.jpg for details.

The icons with an orange shape around are icons we should redesign, or
at least discuss about...

This would be my feedback:
TOP BAR
- If we want to stick to the first icons of the top bar, these icons
always should be single color, just white, with grey outline, no shadow.
That would mean an adaption to:
- Share Icon (white with outline), maybe also another symbol? Something
like this:
http://www.iconfinder.com/icondetails/49435/128/icon_share_this_icon?
- Like Icon (white with outline)
- Connect (white with outline), maybe also another symbol? Like this
http://www.webhelpdesk.com/images/icon_link-integrate.png?
- Home (white with outline), reduced details
- Shutdown Icon: here an ongoing discussion about the icon itself needs
to be solved first

CATEGORIES
- As with the newest implementation the categories dont have any icons
anymore, maybe we dont need to redo them. If we need them somewhere else
I would prefer a change in symbol for Bookmark (looks like "Like") and
Apps (looks like "Settings")
- The "Like" Feature should either have always hearts (as an Icon in the
top bar as also for rating in the context menu), or always have stars
- Bookmark icon: star would be already taken for "like", so another icon
needed
- Recently visited: ongoing discussion

- Lock, Sleep and Hibernate Icons need a rebrush of color and style, as
we already pointed out for PA2. The symbols are fine, in my opinion,
maybe only sleep is a bit vague?

Another thing is striking here: the different styles in general. Some
icons do have a drop shadow, some have an outline, some have colors,
others are just whitish, most of them have buttons underneath, some are
circles, others are squares. I know that we mostly "borrow" icons from
somewhere because of the lack of an icon designer with lots of time ;)
But maybe we find a unique look&feel we want to apply in general and for
all future icons?

So, this is my first attempt in smoothing out the icon collection in PA
a bit :)
Feedback welcome.