Settings Human Interface Guidelines first draft online

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:35:32 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 04 January 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> [...]

most settings wouldn't be no (the date/time ones works quite well currently i
think), what would be scary is what can cause any kind of data loss.
things like network setting where a wrong preference can send the device
offline is a bit on the edge.

> Only irreversible actions are dangerous. And if changing a setting is
> irreversible,
> something is _deeply_ flawed.

usually are not irreversible, but may be not obvious to remember how to get
back (like a forgotten wifi key)

> And, to be honest: The fact that you have to click "Apply" for every
> single
> change in KCMs is something that has very often annoyed the hell out of
> me.
> I would never ever get the idea of clicking "apply" before switching to
> another
> settings module if it were not for the really annoying "Your changes have
> not been
> saved yet" dialog. This never was a good design decision and never will
> be.

as far i remember the reason that nobody ever tried to change this was not
only technical, there was a bit of discussion at the time and was decided not
worth. unfortunately that's all i managed to get back from the sands of time:

http://weblog.obso1337.org/2008/implicit-save/