Settings Human Interface Guidelines first draft online

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:55:57 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 04 January 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > I guess instant apply would be really nice (like in the clock setting, I
> > always look up in the top bar if the new times has been set
> > instantly...). And as Marco pointed out in his email, an easy undo (or
> > better "redo" in this case) feature is needed of course. But as active
> > has not that complex interaction patterns, I guess this is feasable.
>
> +1
> We should really start getting rid of the old "OK/Cancel" stuff.
> OK/Cancel might be easier to implement than undo/redo, but it just
> feels so oldschool today.

again, that's not a good reason.

we should rather ask ourselves is it a good pattern?
if it always is or rather if it is in certain cases and less in others?

being able to undo whether is possible is of course good, I would advocate in
any case asking for confirmation whether the action is potentially scary.

on examples of this undo functionality gone bad, does anybody actually uses
the trashcan in the desktop? I yet have to meeto somebody that does, either
always keeps it empty (that is, discarding the undo history too often) or
leaves tons of crap in it to the point becomes impossible to find something in
it.

while on a text editor it works beautifully, just to say different contexts
requires different patterns.