Active Settings refactoring done

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:55:56 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 04 January 2012, Fania Bremmer wrote:
> Am 01.01.2012 18:50, schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > Happy new year,
> >

> > As a test case for embedding a settings module directly into an app, I've
> > implemented an embedded settings module with the browser's dashboard:
> >
> > Config button: http://wstaw.org/m/2012/01/01/plasma-desktopeT1657.png
>
> What I do not understand is the sandglass icon used for recently visited
> webpages. An icon referering to a webpage, url, or maybe even the
> thumbnails picture would be a lot better und understandable. Or maybe
> the favicon? I dont know whats technically feasable, but maybe we can
> find something more explanatory?
>
> > Settings module in browser:
> > http://wstaw.org/m/2012/01/01/plasma-desktopgz1657.png
>
> Why do we have a close icon? Cant the user just tap in the background
> and it closes the overlay automatically? (Once again an interaction
> principle from the desktop that is not needed here in my opinion)

honestly, I think that the "it's too desktopy" argument is the worse one I
ever read, and is quite concerning that it's coming up in different areas
without giving actual reasons.

The reason many desktop ui pieces doen't work on a touch environment is either
for input method reasons (target size, reliance on hover, wheel, whatever)

or the metaphore not being convenient/adapt, like trees..

so let's see the case of the close button on dialogs.
is it the case of problems with input method? no, the button is big enough and
buttons began their life as phisical buttons touch controlled.

is it the case of a metaphor not being suitable? maybe, didn't see actual
valid argumentations for it tough.

what is the cost of removing things like close/cancel buttons?
wether we want it or not, users will try a transfer of learning
(http://learnweb.harvard.edu/alps/thinking/docs/traencyn.htm, both positive
and negative) when confronted with those interfaces so expectations on how
some tasks will be accomplished will be there.

tapping outside to dismiss is nice, not intuitive at all tough (as nothing
really is) could be that is something that gets learned very fast, I don't
have an answer for it.

So, does this thing have enough advantages to be changed? i don't know, and
i'm not really against it, I would just like having good arguments supporting
that.