Active Settings refactoring done

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Jan 4 11:15:54 UTC 2012

Hej,

On Wednesday, January 04, 2012 11:38:51 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> Am 01.01.2012 18:50, schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> > As a test case for embedding a settings module directly into an app, I've
> > implemented an embedded settings module with the browser's dashboard:
> >
> > Config button: http://wstaw.org/m/2012/01/01/plasma-desktopeT1657.png
>
> What I do not understand is the sandglass icon used for recently visited
> webpages. An icon referering to a webpage, url, or maybe even the
> thumbnails picture would be a lot better und understandable. Or maybe
> the favicon? I dont know whats technically feasable, but maybe we can
> find something more explanatory?

It's Oxygen's history icon, so semantically correct, but visually misleading.
I'll play around with using the webthumbnails there, but I'll have to be very
careful to not hurt startup time, or keep the device busy generating
thumbnails while the user wants to actually use the browser. (Generating these
things is a pretty heavy operation, although they're cached. Maybe I can find
a way to re-use the pixmap the browser already has and just save that. Needs
work.)

> > Settings module in browser:
> > http://wstaw.org/m/2012/01/01/plasma-desktopgz1657.png
>
> Why do we have a close icon? Cant the user just tap in the background
> and it closes the overlay automatically? (Once again an interaction
> principle from the desktop that is not needed here in my opinion)

Yes, the icon is wrong. I've already replaced it with a back icon (arrow-left)
in the same style. The button is really used to toggle between dashboard and
settings.

> What is the basic layout here? The elements are somehow aligned in the
> middle. I saw that the have the same layout as in the settings app,
> which is good because that means consistency. But is there a special
> reason for putting them in the middle of the page? Wouldnt it be easier
> to put them leftaligned, so if new and longer elements join we dont get
> problems in the width? Just thinking out loud here....

It's center-aligned, two columns. Left-aligning would mean that the UI would
get out of balance (played quite a bit with this, centering is by far the most
visually pleasing).

> I like the suggestion of Thomas to put something else instead of dEfAuLt
> in the start page text field. Maybe some page related to Plasma Active,
> like the wiki page or plasma-active.org? Or this too much "marketingy" :)?

Eh, yes. :D The "dEfAuLt" text was rather a temporary placeholder, should
never have ended up in the release. I've already fixed it.

Thanks for the feedback!
--
sebas