Settings Human Interface Guidelines first draft online

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sun Jan 1 20:04:53 UTC 2012

On Sunday 01 January 2012 20:59:10 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On Sunday 01 January 2012 14:30:01 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > On Saturday 31 December 2011 19:48:10 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > - Things that are not technically feasible
> >
> > Concerning section "Instant Apply", I'm not sure whether I understand it
> > correctly. The section talks about that there is no apply button and that
> > changes are applied instantly. I understand this as "I click that checkbox
> > and instantly the settings are saved and application adjusts itself". But
> > the further text is about "don't restart app to apply settings". This
> > makes
> > me wonder if you just care about the fact that you should not have to
> > restart the application, but when you click "OK" the settings are applied.
> > So that it is not instant in the sense as only the checkbox was clicked.
>
> I mean "When I change an option, it's put into effect immediately without
> restarting the application if possible". For applications that need to be
> restarted, the HIG suggests displaying a message asking the user to restart
> the app. Unless of course it's possible that apps restart themselves and
> return to the exact state as before without the user noticing. If that's
> possible, I'm okay with it. But if that's not possible, users should restart
> applications manually.
ok, so it's the second one. Could you make that a little bit more clear by not
calling the section "Instant Apply" but maybe "Apply without restart" or
something in that direction?

> > If you mean the first one, apply instantly on checkbox clicked, I doubt
> > this is technically feasible at least for all applications having the
> > configuration interface in a different application (KCMShell).
>
> Could it be made possible to inform applications of config changes e.g. via
> DBUS or something?
Yes that is possible. KWin uses that to apply settings changed in KCMs. The
KCM emits a signal and KWin listens for it.

Cheers
Martin