Active Settings refactoring done

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sun Jan 1 18:41:50 UTC 2012

On Sunday 01 January 2012 18:50:26 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> As a test case for embedding a settings module directly into an app, I've
> implemented an embedded settings module with the browser's dashboard:
>
> Config button: http://wstaw.org/m/2012/01/01/plasma-desktopeT1657.png
> Settings module in browser:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2012/01/01/plasma-desktopgz1657.png
>
> I've written a tutorial which covers pretty much all the aspects of
> implementing this.

Great work, I like! :) The only thing that looks a bit out of place is the X
button. Maybe we should go with a back button on the left there?

However, I'm not sure if this works for all applications. In the browser, we
have a canvas onto which we can put anything without it feeling strange (like
Chromium or Firefox (at least with advanced settings) do), but that's not
necessarily the same with all apps. Having settings cover the working area of
e.g. a Calligra application might feel weird ("Where's my document gone???").
Imo, the fullscreen modal dialogs of Kontact Touch work fine (see e.g. Actions
-> Mail -> Configure Mail).
So I don't think we can make the way it's done in the Browser the standard. It
works perfectly there, but I think browsers are an exception in this regard.

> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/QML/ActiveSettings
>
> This very nicely complements Thomas' work on the Active Settings HIG. :)

Yes. Technical tutorials and HIGs are the perfect team. We definitely have to
put them closely together or at least interlink them.