Developing a XBMC App for Plasma Active

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 12:34:25 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM, Andy Hayes <spoonlassassin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking to develop a simple XBMC remote control app for Plasma active..
> I started to learn to use Qt, but is there any other reasources or info you
> cold point me to?
>
> The project is for my own entertainment/learning as i plan on buying the
> Spark tablet, and would like to control the TV from bed...  but if it works
> well i might make it public :-).
>
> I there anything similar already in existance that I could take some
> inspiration etc from..?

Hi,
this sounds quite interesting ;)

for developing active apps the suggested way is to use QML for the ui,
you can look at:
http://developer.qt.nokia.com/doc/qt-4.8/qtquick.html
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/QML/GettingStarted
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/QML/API
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/plasma-qml-apidocs/

and look at the applications in the plasma-mobile repository on how to
do an hybrid QML/C++ application.

what would be really nice i think is to write dataengines/services to
do the actual control of xbmc, so would be simple to use from it from
a simple plasmoid to a fullscreen application, for that you can look
at
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Plasma/DataEngines