activities save and restore

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 18:30:04 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I'm debugging a problem in active, where activities are not correctly
restored at boot.
then i remembered one thing: also with plasma on desktop some weeks ago i
had the same problem, of "disappearing" activities
if someone is running from master, did this issue happens too? can you see
if there are empty files (0 length) in
~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma-desktop/activities/

as far i managed to understand for now is that kactivitymanager seems to
report a correct list of activities (i'm not sure if the list is
immediately correct, or if waiting a bit more before starting plasma-device
helps)

what happens is that at stop containments are correctly stored (in the
above directory, one per file)
then sometimes, it fails to restore the containment leading to an empty
one, sometimes no containment at all.

then at the subsequent stop, the old file where the containment config is
stored gets overwritten with an empty file, having a data loss.

I'm suspecting an issue either in a recent libplasma or kactivities repo
(either client lib or server)
it's weird that i don't have the problem on the desktop with master right
now, but the issue was definitely there at some point, so may be something
potentially affecting the 4.10 release as well.

Anybody has some better hypothesis?