Release plan for PA3?

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Aug 10 09:34:17 UTC 2012

On Friday 10 August 2012 11:17:17 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 09 August 2012, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am in favor of getting PA3 out before we merge in big changes, but I'm
> > not really happy with just slapping a version number onto whatever we
> > currently have and releasing it.
> > Instead I personally think PA is mature enough to do "proper" release
> > management - like KDE SC or several Extragear projects - by now, meaning
> > - Branching PA3 out from Trunk
>
> yep, definitely

Ok.

> > - Setting a feature freeze (since we're not in the standard translation
> > process yet, we won't need a string freeze, correct?)
>
> we are in that, the big merges are blocked for now

Okay. I wasn't aware of an "official" feature freeze, but as long as no features
creep in, it's fine for me :)

> > - Maybe doing a Beta release
> > - Doing one or more RC(s)
>
> i am not sure how much more testers we can get compared to the devel/testing
> weekly images, since compared to the other kde software this is intended to
> come as a complete image rather than to be installed on an existing system

Well, right now we have current images from Trunk plus Testing images from
April. I think what we need are regularly updated images from the PA3 branch
as soon as it was branched out, right? If we have that, I don't care if we
call it RC or Testing or whatever ;) Testers just need to be able to get what
is going to be PA3 into their devices and test away. And I think "Use the
current Devel image" might be a bit confusing here...
Plus there are also e.g. Kubuntu Active or the OpenSUSE / Balsam packages. Do
we want to enable their users to test PA3 as well?

Cheers,
Thomas