Proposal: Plasma Active Three end of August

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Aug 8 12:52:32 UTC 2012

On 08.08.2012 14:21, Marco Martin wrote:
> +1
> since a while i try to keep it quite stable i think the state of the plasma-
> mobile repo is releaseable
>
> (only thing too much unfinished in plasma-mobile master at the moment is the
> locale settings module, should be disabled)

Another thing which seems unfinished is the power settings module. Currently
there are power settings in the configuration launched from the battery Plasmoid
(i.e. the regular ones from Plasma Desktop) as well as those in the Settings
app. I always try to fiddle around with both and end up not knowing which ones
are actually effective (apart from the defaults in the Settings App module
looking pretty suboptimal to me). Therefore we need to either remove the desktop
power settings and make ours actually work or remove ours. We can#t have both.

And then there is the resource browser which wasn't in an end-user-ready state
last time I checked. Marco and me have already talked about what needs to be
improved during Akademy (and some of it has already been implemented), yet I
don't know what the current status is on that front.

We also definitely need much more extensive testing compared to the previous
release. There are many small things which are often affected by regressions
(especially everything related to Activities and resources) that only show when
you actually try to _use_ your device (like moving files from and to USB sticks,
adding and removing resources of many different kinds to Activities, using
private Activities etc.). It often happens to me that when I install an image on
my Wetab and play around with it a bit, everything seems fine. But then when I
use it more extensively, problems start appearing all over the place.
And I personally would like to be able to show PA3 to someone without having to
fear that he or she might do something that I causes all sorts of bugs to pop up.

Another thing is: Which hardware and which base system do we want it to run
smoothly on? I don't know about other devices and platforms, but at least PA on
Mer on Wetab currently has several problems, from a blank locking screen to
uncontrolled sleeping to the power button shutting down instead of locking. If
these problems don't appear on other devices and we don't care about Wetab, I'm
fine with that. But if we want to show PA3 running on a Wetab without
embarrassing ourselves, there are still quite a few things to do.

>> Please add anything I'm forgetting and give feedback to the plan.
>
> before (2), gathering just a list of the most prominent features on which
> construct the text on, i can help with that
>
> as usual, i'll help with anything, but people please don't be shy and
> volunteer :p

I'll gladly help with testing and reporting technical/functional as well as
usability issues.

Cheers,
Thomas