Updating Project:KDE:Trunk project on build.pub.meego.com

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Apr 16 22:37:37 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 03 April 2012 18:22:00 Maurice de la Ferte wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> at the moment we have a well tested and improved state of Plasma Active 2
> in our 'Project:KDE:Trunk:Testing' project. We like to ship this state into
> the 'Project:KDE:Trunk project' asap which is the package feed of our
> MeeGo/Mer end-user like images. This state is represented by several
> 'testing' marked images with '2012-03-27' timestamp prefix.

Today, I put myself in an end-user position again:
I installed the plasma active two stable meego image (basyskom-plasma-active-
two-meego-usb-live.iso) and - without changing anything beforehand - ran
zypper ref and zypper up (maybe that's not what an end-user is supposed to do,
but it's possible and does not come with a warning, and I don't know of a
safer way to update).
This left my system in a pretty buggy state: The task switcher does not
display thumbnails (i.e. it does not work), the top bar is black with a grey
border and I could not add Berlin_Routes.pdf to an activity. This is not what
I call "well tested and improved".
Maybe the code works if compiled as a testing image, but that's not the
realistic use-case. What has to actually work is that an end-user who
installed the latest stable image available (which currently is PA 2) can
update her system in order to receive bug fixes.
Maybe we can't get that in PA2 anymore, but this should definitely be our aim
for PA3: If a user updates her "stable" system from the "stable" repositories,
it has to have fewer bugs afterwards, not more.
Sorry for the rant. I don't have a problem with a buggy system personally, but
once we have actual end-users using and updating their devices and they get
what I got today, they ain't gonna be happy.
Cheers,
Thomas