remove or keep the activity view in the window list

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Sep 22 23:59:55 UTC 2011

On Thursday, September 22, 2011 23:16:29 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> hi all...
>
> now that the "panel puller" icon in the top right has been replaced with a
> "home screen" button which, when pressed, pulls up the activity view i'm
> left with a few questions:
>
> * should we leave the activity view (currently labelled "home screen") in
> the window list? i lean towards "no", but maybe it is useful ... without it
> there, however, the strip becomes quite strictly about apps you, the user,
> have launched.

Ha, I've thought about the exact same thing. I think it would make sense, and
we should give it a try.

> * if we remove it, then it should probably collapse down when no windows are
> shown

Hadn't thought about this, I think we'd need to give it a try how a "vanishing
windowstrip" works, I can imagine it feeling quite natural, but possibly
confusing. It has the side effect, that while having the peak area half pulled
out (i.e. snapped above the windowstrip), it might seem that the windowstrip
has replaced the application list, not pushed it up offscreen on top.
Interesting experiment. :)

Another interesting experiment would be to display application starters
connected to this activity there, so you'd basically retain the place where
you launch and switch to your apps.

> with the contour icon in the upper right now, i really really like the clock
> in the middel more than ever. the right side is now a nice collection of
> "activity related" buttons -> share, like, connect and activity view. as
> such, i'd like to leave the clock in the middle.

I quite like it this way, too, as it gives a nice and balanced impression.

> the calendar popup from the clock is also now successfully removed, which
> makes it lighter on resources but more importantly means that it doesn't
> bring up the icon calendar awkwardly :)

What a relief :-)

I've just pulled, rebuilt and
--