about app

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Sep 16 13:23:42 UTC 2011

 On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:51:40 +0200, Marco Martin wrote:
> btw i'm not aware of any attempt on those, also meego tablet doesn't
> seem to
> have any ui neither to install packages or just tell about updates

 But that is definitely a must if we want "the average user" to use it,
 since
 you shouldn't tell them "Start Konsole, enter 'su', enter the root
 password
 ("Which root password???"), end then enter 'zypper up'". Having a
 complete
 package manager is really important, but might be postponed to PA2. The
 problem
 is, though: If we don't have an easy way to update packages, how do
 users of
 PA1 upgrade to PA2? Or if we find a critical bug post-release, how do
 we get
 it to users?
 So I'd say that having an auto-updater is even more important than
 having
 a complete package manager (with the ability to (un)install
 applications etc.).

 If we say "PA1 is only for at least somewhat tech-savvy early
 adopters", we can
 tell them to update using Konsole later.

 Thomas