default applications and widgets

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 9 11:17:04 UTC 2011

On Friday, September 09, 2011 12:08:09 Marco Martin wrote:
> at the moment both the list of applications in the launcher and the list
> of  widgets in the add widget explorer are quite messy.
>
> for 1.0 we need both lists to be quite small and lean, without unexpected
> things, like a systemtray in the add widget explorer or applications that
> shouldn't really be there
>
> it can partly be solved by installing really only what's needed and not
> more  (something we still need to get better)
>
> but only partly, since some applets would still need to be there, but
> won't  make much sense in the activity screen, like slc or the
> notifications one.
>
> what solutions could be used besides being more careful what gets installed
> in  the default image? entry in desktop file? blacklist? whitelist? (the
> latter is way too much;)

I think a blacklist makes most sense here. While it's technically not the most
beautiful solution, it should be doable. Also:

- when installing extra applications / applets, they should be added to the
widgets explorer, which won't happen with a whitelist, so a blacklist is safer
here

Same goes for applications.
--
sebas