getting rid of active branches in KDE modules

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Sep 5 10:38:10 UTC 2011

hi :)

after the rather succesful merging of the contour and plasma-mobile
repositories (after first clearing up the structure of the latter), making
things a lot easier to work with during development, our next task is probably
to try and get rid of the branches in kdelibs and kde-runtime that we have.

they are simply another barrier to development and continues to catch people.

i merged the changes in the kdelibs activedevelopment/4.7 branch that were
made to libplasma into the 4.7 branch already. from what i understand, the
remaining changes are essentially changes to libkactivities.

in line with the modularization of kdelibs, and following suit with what
nepomuk has done already as well, i'd like to propose that we break out
libkactivities into its own git repository. that would kill off that
particular requirement for a separate branch in kdelibs.

are there any other developments in that branch that we need? changes to
libkdeclarative, for instance? if so, can we merge those into the KDE/4.7
branch?

then we could drop that branch entirely.

similarly with the branch in runtime .. is there any reason to keep the branch
alive, or can we simply move to the (really rather slow changing, so safe)
master branch and merge whatever changes were made in the branch into master
and/or KDE/4.7 in kde-runtime?

humru othro a kohnu se