components components components

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Oct 31 17:47:33 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 31, 2011 17:52:27 Marco Martin wrote:
> * where they should go? they are targeted to be usable in 4.8, so should be
> in kde-runtime for now (i would love a separate repo for all our imports in
> the future)

yes, for frameworks 5.

> * how depend from it? they are now in master, so kde 4.8. pa2 will probably
> have to depend still from 4.7 -> i guess another kde-runtime branch :/

that would really suck; at this point i'd almost like to see PA2 be just a
patch release with the various improvements and fixes we're making in
performance and stability and focus PA3 on a KDE Platform + Workspaces 4.8
based release (or push hard for Frameworks 5?)

> * device specific: some(most) of the components work pretty good on both
> desktop and tablet, however some of them will have to be slightly different
> (buttons without mouse over effects) or *very* different (menu being a qmenu
> on the desktop, a fancier qgv based thing on the tablet)
>
> for how qml imports work right now there is no specific fallback, so if even
> just one component has to be changed a fork of the whole set would be
> required (ouch;)

this is an installation issue, right? could we not install two copies of
things, and just have one copy (and therefore no code-duplication) in the git
repo? then the resolution could be automagic and hidden from the QML entirely,
just as we do for in packages.

humru othro a kohnu se