RFC browser: URL bar, bounce effect, performance: Tabs

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Oct 28 09:09:06 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 27, 2011 16:54:05 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> RFC5:
> ** Proposed Change **
> Add tabs to Browser.
>
> ** Reason For Change **
> Its just more handy and a tablet is real surf-device... so I guess every
> user is somehow a internet surfer poweruser. To be limited to one tab in
> the year 2011 doesnt feel innovative.

I'm squarely against tabs, we have activities for that.

- Tabs would make it harder to find the right open page when switching between
  windows
- They're limited to webpages
- activities are a much nicer way to group windows

I think tabs are a broken concept, especially in a document-centric world,
since they lump documents together by the application to view them, not by
anything sensible. It's really a window switching thing.
--
sebas