RFC browser: URL bar, bounce effect, performance

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:20:34 UTC 2011

On Thursday 27 October 2011, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 27 October 2011 16:54:05 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > here my collection of RFCs for the browser. May I ask why we are
> > creating our own active browser from the scratch? Is there no well
> > suitable browser out there, that we can adapt to touch? I have the
> > feeling that we are having lots of work to do to make the current active
> > browser better usable... But just my 2 cents.
>
> I don't think there is anything using Qt, but IMHO it would be great to get
> Firefox mobile into PA.
>
> The current mobile variants of Firefox are probably not well suited, but
> the tablet UI which is IIRC still under development might be useable to
> us[1]. But if it is done with only Android or iPhone in mind, it is
> possible that it is less work to implement an own browser than to
> integrate Firefox.

i'm positive towards offering an easy way to *install* firefox mobile (on
platforms that don't require ourselves to maintain gtk packages, so this could
rule our mer :p).

i'm not 100% sure they want to continue the version of fennect/firefox
mobile/tablet for X11 tough

the biggest thing that we would lose are:
* central bookmarks
* SLC integration
* any possibility to do recommendations based on sites visited

so while firefox mobile would "just work" you lose all what makes active well,
active :p