RFC browser: URL bar, bounce effect, performance

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 17:17:29 UTC 2011

On Thursday 27 October 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > RFC2:
> > ** Proposed Change **
> > Improve the loading speed for websites to 3 sec max for displaying it.
>
> this requires work in QtWebKit and as such is out of scope for us.
> upgrading to Qt 4.8 may already give us benefits, moving to WebKit2 based
> QtWebKit when it is available should as well.

i also feel the speed is nowhere near what we need, that's a bad architectural
issue of qtwebkit with webkit1

i do think a little part of the issue could be due on how the scrolling is
managed (qgraphicswebview as big as the page inside a flickable vs scrolling
done by qgraphicswebview itself)

i'll have to do some serious comparisons between the current one and the old
Plasma::WebView some day (i suspect that using a variant of the latter would
be the best thing waiting qt5)

unfortunately it means keeping the current not optimal one until qt5, don't
see big way out (well, one day or another we will have to finally bite the
bullet and start to seriously think about migration to qt5/plasma2/frameworks5
etc ;)

> > RFC4:
> > ** Proposed Change **
> > The zoom gesture should scale exactly into the position where the two
> > fingers are put on the screen.
>
> can't comment as i don't have a PA device with working multitouch atm, but
> the relevant code is in doZoom in plasma-
> mobile/applications/webbrowser/package/contents/ui/content/FlickableWebView
> .qml

pain point there: miltitouch in the browser and image viewer is a diff in the
spec file, because on meego the qml api for it is completely different from
everywhere else (it was still not frozen)

to do serious experiments with multitouch, we really should depend from Qt
4.8, where at least the pinching qml api is finally frozen

> > RFC5:
> > ** Proposed Change **
> > Add tabs to Browser.
>
> this would be very nice; the "thumbnails down the side" approach would be
> nicer.

would still like having separate windows and having thumbnails done with the
window manager, kinda like a version of peek with only browser windows in it.
technically should be feasible. would make sense?