Plasma Active Mockup for Legacy(non active) Apps.

Joseph Anania joseph.anania at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 20:11:35 UTC 2011

I have been using plasma active for over a month using the Open Suse repo.
I like it overall however I do think there are some tweeks that could add to
the usability on Touch devices.  One advantage of Plasma Active is that it
can run regular linux apps so it already is useable.  The problem is that
many apps have a application menu bar, with the current UI a global menubar
would not fit in with the current Active UI design.  What I propose is a
menu button that uses D-bus menu when pressed the app menu will slide down
like Yakuake and be navigable like Kickoff or Lancelot in a breadcrumb like
UI.  Attached are the mockup picks.  The added menu button would complement
the current UI make better use of screen real estate and make legacy Apps
more touch friendly and give them a bigger UI area since there would no
longer be a Menu bar.  KDE already has a working implementation of D-bus
menu in a plasmoid it is bundled with Kubuntu.  It will work with Gtk and Qt
apps and Unity uses d-bus menu for its global menu bar.  All that would be
needed is a QML implementation or a modification on kickoff or Lancelot.
Any suggestions would be welcomed and if you think this is a bad idea feel
free to criticize my mockup.  Any alternative Ideas are welcomed also.

Here is a link to the mockup page with screenshots:

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=145954