Fwd: Great

Omaha Zeth z.omaha at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 20:35:33 UTC 2011

 My impression is that the panel is a bit dominant, and to be honest it
makes me think of Netbooks. The "screen real estate" is really precious.

Secondly, I relate top bars for applications/plasmoids to desktop UX. In my
thinking the function and usage of applications or plasmoids should be "self
explainatory" thus a header stating "documents", "messages" and so on should
not be needed. I should immediately understand that it's a weather plasmoid
or a player that list music/movies.

My position is that as many applications as possible should be full screen
with nothing else visible. If panels or headers have to be visible, it
should be maximum one, not both panel and application header. I can see that
there are solutions within Plasma Active for that, but perhaps not entirely
consistent wrt adaptation by the app devs?

I do understand that both panels and "the headers" provides access to
controls and so on. My hope is that controls/menus and so on will be
separated from the application and made accessible through a
"central/contextual" control/menu system. E.G made accessible through a
mechanism (e.g navigated by left thumb) similar to the one used switching
between activities.

I don't know whether you have tested the W8 Metro UX on laptop or pad? There
are some demo videos available.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=windows+8+metro+ui&aq=f
What strikes me is the amount of arm/finger/hand/pointer movement that is
required to control and manoeuvring between apps and I believe that this is
both unnecessary and undesireable.

The demos I've seen of Calligra Mobile and Kontact Touch both leaves me with
an impression that there's a lot of "elbow movement" when navigating and
controlling.

The way I'm thinking, as much navigation as possible should be controlled
without having to move the hand off the pad. The Activity Switcher is very
very close to perfect in my book.If controls were detached from the
applications/plasmoids, and operated (contextually) the same way I would for
sure love it.

E.G when activating and using the Activity Switcher with the right thumb,
one could use the left thumb to select/choose and when activating and using
controls/menus with the left thumb, one could use the right thumb to
select/choose/nest. Best thing would be everything by left or right thumb
only though.

Please note that my comments relates to visual impression and
navigation/control. When actually performing work (viewing/resizing images,
typing, moving links and images in to a document/message and so on) it would
be natural to use the entire screen, pinching, dragging and dropping and so
on.

Hopefully this makes more sense.

Brgds,

Omaha