startactive, setting environment variables

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 21 09:48:46 UTC 2011

On Monday, November 21, 2011 10:31:24 Marco Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
> there is not much anymore missing to startactive to be completed.
>
> one thing is setting environment variables.
> one thing is the variable for the mouse cursor, we can either force to the
> empty cursor set or try again to read from the config.

for plasma-device, i think the empty cursor is what we want.

i've noticed on android that installs often have a little tool for devs tucked
away somewhere (e.g. in the settings) that lets you turn this on at runtime
after boot. that seems quite sane to me.

> then all scripts in /env that export environment variables (was used to set
> our keyboard input method)

i also don't think touching all those env files is justified. better imho
would be to process them inside startkde as the first thing that gets done,
and limit the files to ONE file with a predefined path so that it isn't
searching all over disk. i do wonder, however, which of these files couldn't
be turned into a startactive module?

> then all scripts in /env that export environment variables (was used to set
> our keyboard input method)

i see those calls to kde4-config and cringe a little inside.. especially since
from inside an app that links to libkdecore or even includes the config-
prefix.h generated in kdelibs (how i was that installed somewhere :) can get
this much more cheaply at runtime.

as it is, using a script like that, we're running a shell to run a command
which starts an app that links to qt and libkdecore to get a string literally
that is compiled into it.

do you think it would be possible to have startactive begin by simply
generating these values itself internally, and setting the necessary env vars
from there?

humru othro a kohnu se