New Screenlocker ready to be used

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Nov 19 16:25:14 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I finally got the new screenlocker into a state where I consider it as usable
for both desktop and active. I just committed all changes to a new branch
"screenlocker" in kde-workspace [1]. As it does not depend on anything else
from workspace it should be possible to ship it either as a large patch
against 4.7 or 4.8.

The advantage of the new screenlocker for Active is that it supports automatic
screen locking after idle timeout and locking the screen  at startup. For this
I give a small example configuration.

Modify kscreensaverrc:
[ScreenSaver]
Enabled=true
Lock=true
LockGrace=30000
Timeout=300
GreeterQML=kscreenlocker/lockscreen-active.qml

This would configure the screen locker to lock the screen after 5 min idle
time (setting Timeout in seconds) with a grace time of 30 sec (setting
LockGrace in msec). Grace time means that any input event hides the lock
screen again. The GreeterQML setting specifies that the active QML lockscreen
should be used instead of the desktop one.

The autologin with screen initially locked needs to be configured somewhere in
KDM (if it is used) and the active startscript needs probably to be adjusted
as well screenlocker and splash screen together are problematic as they both
try to be the top one. I will look into this soon as I want that on the
desktop as well ;-)

Cheers
Martin

[1] http://commits.kde.org/kde-
workspace/251513497ca3c4d710acb5c7f35f37c6596c496d