Current problem with Nepomuk / Contour, possible solution: "Fetch"

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Nov 11 12:17:37 UTC 2011

> when downloading new apps over 3g, you certainly need one. whether it is
> presented to the user as such or not is another matter. see how android
or
> XBox handles this with their queued downloader, which does allow the
> user to
> check to see progress, cancel or pause for the moment, etc.

The way things currently are, we may still need that, yes. But that
doesn't
mean it has to be in a separate application. If I use an app browser to
install
an application, I want to see the progress in the app browser, not start a

separate app to track the progress, right? Same goes for the browser or
any
other application that downloads stuff. We need a unified UI, but it
should
be integrated in the applications that initiate the download. We still
need
to show other running downloads as users need to see why the current one
is so slow, though.

> completely hiding downloads (whether from a web page, from an app store
> or
> from an activity) is denying the reality of mobile internet. "roaming
data
> charges" anyone? :)

As long as that's the reality of mobile internet, I agree. Let's see my
suggestion
as a vision for the future when devices are always connected to the
internet
and everyone will have an LTE data flatrate. Until then, we have to cope
with the
limitations we're facing, yes.

> otherwise, i concur with what you wrote in general ...

:-)