RFC: delete icon on activity thumbnail on every activity (except current active one)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Nov 4 16:25:02 UTC 2011

> in this particulary case, i'm not sure because i don't know how often
the
> delete button gets hit by accident (even a moderate rate of accidental
> usage
> would severely speak against this approach for this particular case)

Well, question is: Does a confirmation dialog actually provide better
protection
than an undo function? I've often realized I made a mistake only _after_
clicking that "OK" button on the confirm dialog because I got so used to
those
dialogs that I answer them automatically.

> the other variable at play in this specific case is that activities are
very
> valuable and can be expensive to bring back. for normal, small things
> getting
> rid of confirmations makes lots of sense. but for Big Scary Actions With
Real
> Consequences, some confirmation-buffers can increase the confidence and
> comfort in using the system.

Yes, but isn't that just learned behavior? Would you be scared when moving
a file
to trash without confirmation? Probably not, because you know you can
easily
restore it if you accidentally moved it.
And if we can teach users that they can easily revert accidents, maybe
this can
give them confidence as well.

> i would have to say that my support depends on those two issues, and
that
> don't have enough data yet on either ...

Data is the point. I'd love to be able to do a usability test with "undo
instead of
confirmation" to see how much this actually scares users. I would not
release this without usability testing of course.
We are generally in a mood of taking bold steps outside of the known in
Plasma Active, so why not trying this as well?