RFC: open the spinner directly on touch point

Javier Llorente Javier.Llorente at basyskom.de
Tue Nov 1 15:45:19 UTC 2011

On 01 November 2011 at 15:10 "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 1, 2011 11:12:37 Fania Bremmer wrote:
> > ** Proposed Change **
> > Open the spinner directly on touch point, near the tapped icon/source
> > etc, not on the bottom of the page
>
> in the case of the launcher, the spinner would start there .. and then when
> the launcher closes, where would it display?
>
> i agree that the visual feedback should be stronger and probably start at the
> point of launch, but i don't think it's feasible to keep a spinner where the
> launch was started from as things can (and will) move on screen.
>
> (also: the spinner should include some graphical indication of _what_ is
> starting)+1
Moreover, I think it would be better (for consistency) to place the spinner in
the same place (ie: in the middle of the screen) no matter where the launcher
is. Perhaps we could have a semi transparent overlay (a bit dark) with the
spinner in the middle and to the right of it "Starting: name of app." The
overlay would fade away once the application is running. It would also prevent
users from tapping more than once in the same resource/having more than one
instance of the same app. As you know, more apps running mean that more system
resources are used, more power consumption, which is translated into less
battery.

Greetings,
Javier