RFC: making the resize feature on the activity screen better visible

Fania Bremmer fania.bremmer at basyskom.de
Tue Nov 1 14:27:50 UTC 2011

Am 27.10.2011 23:49, schrieb Marco Martin:
> On Thursday 27 October 2011, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> On Thursday, October 27, 2011 17:47:42 Fania Bremmer wrote:
>>> One of our coolest features, that is no user detects by himself, but
>>> after seen it once, uses it all the time....even more important now with
>>> the new vertical resize....
>> this is like the "doesn't pull down the panel" issue.
>>
>> imho: we can optimize for a first time user and make the UI less pleasing
>> for everyone (including them) after they have learned the basics, or we
>> can deliver a more pleasing UI and start with documentation (e.g. the
>> first-time video) and rely on that.
>>
>> i don't see how we can have it both ways. :/
> i still think the optimal way to resize boxes would be by stretching them with
> two fingers, looks like i'll have to write some bindings for raw multitouch
> events since with the prototype using pinch gestures i did wasn't working so
> well

I would suggest we keep our current visual design and test further with
the new vertical resize, how people get along with that.
I made the experience that every user has been able to drag the boxes
easily on the screen - is the "tap and hold" gesture here the same as
for the box resizing? Maybe its just a question of timing?

stretching und multitouch: wouldnt that be rather zooming into the box?
I wouldnt expect the box to enlarge with same screen ratio, but rather
zoom into the box and therefore see more resource icons...

But i guess this RFC has not the priority and the importance to invest a
lot more time - we should wait for user feedback and testing results
with the new vertical resizing...